One Year On....

This day last year, I was admitted to the Neurology ward of Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, as they tried to determine the reason for my weak hand. I never in a million years  thought that I would be diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.

The diagnosis was a big shock, but due to my ignorance, I wasn't THAT worried, and felt I could cope with anything.

The months following my diagnosis were very difficult, both physically and emotionally. I had to make a lot of changes in my life, regarding work and how I managed stress. I left my job, and began using new techniques to manage my stress. Then gradually, the physical symptoms eased off. The emotionally difficulties will always remain, but I think I have just become more equipped to deal with them. The spontaneity of the disease will always be difficult to deal with, as I like to be in charge of my life... but lets face it, who doesn't?! 

At this moment in time, I am healthy and free of relapse. I am constantly scared that I may wake up with another symptom, but that is just how life will be from now on. I don't let the fear run my life or prevent me from doing things- I think that's the only way to manage it. 

It's definitely been a tough year, but I have amazing family and friends and THEY are the reason I have survived it x 


2 comments:

  1. Hi, a tough year indeed. sigh......I understand so well as I face this disease everyday not knowing.
    With hope for us all
    Love Gail
    peace......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind post, Gail. Apologies it's been so long. I had no internet connection so maintaining the blog was impossible! Back up and running now and looking forward to chatting with you.

    ReplyDelete