Cooking and Baking

It's Pancake Day!! I'm a lemon and sugar sort of girl, but I might branch out today and have something different on mine :)

Cooking and baking has been the only outlet for my creativity over the last few months, due to my limited mobility and energy levels. It started at Christmas when I realised I would have no presents to give my (almost!) in- laws. I couldn't go shopping for gifts, so I ordered my groceries online and searched for recipes that would make nice gifts. I made chocolate fudge, paté, mince pies, chilli jam and lemon curd. The chilli jam seems to be the favourite. I have since been commissioned to make it on a very regular basis, and have made (and given away) over twenty jars at this stage. The chilli jam is VERY tasty, and very addictive. It goes with most meals, and is now a permenant fixture in the fridges of my family and friends. My boyfriend worries that he may have to send me to rehab... some days I have it with lunch AND dinner :)

The thing about cooking is that it relaxes me. I can take breaks and don't have to work to anyone else's deadline. I also really love creating something from nothing. It pleases me to make people happy through feeding them nice things, a quality that I learned from my gorgeous mother.

I have been off work since my MS burst on the scene in October, and really missed the sense of purpose my job gave me. Cooking for people gave me my sense of purpose and achievement back. Cooking allows me to multi- task, use my organisational skills, manage my time effectively, be creative and use my own initiative in amending recipes to individual tastes.

Suffering with the symptoms that MS brought has definitly given me the time to explore other hobbies that I can take part in, despite mobility/ dexterity issues.
Cooking is my new favourite!

8 comments:

  1. Lydia, I can totally relate to your feelings in your blog... I too have started blogging to relay my thoughts, feelings and reactions to having MS... My blog is www.thedayinmylifewithms.com... I have days when I feel so depressed because it seems like my family just doesn't understand what it is like to have this disease. I hate my body because I can't work anymore as my hands no longer work as they are supposed to. However, I always have a smile on my face and a positive outlook for everyone else... No one knows the true feelings I hide deep inside... They just don't understand... I am glad that I have found you... Please add me as a follower and look for me on facebook... Jennifer Folen Shaffer... There aren't any support groups in my area - Pennsylvania USA - for MS patients (survivors) - which prompts me to look online... Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lydia, really like your blog! I'm the online communities officer at the MS Society - would you mind dropping me an email about the possibility of writing a guest blog post for us?

    Many thanks

    Chloe (cgeorge@mssociety.org.uk)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm your newest follower. I have MS and was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago. Check out my blog at jodibeansblog.blogspot.com
    I love Dublin and have been many times. I'll be back May 2012. This year I plan to visit London (again).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all. Thanks for the support. I'm new to the blogging world so am learning more about blogging and MS as I go along :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have recently added cooking to my "what to do while I'm at home with MS" time fillers! Before MS, I was not much of a cook - I don't enjoy it. But now that I have the time...and when I have the energy, and a clear enough brain, I tackle a new recipe.

    I have also taken up sewing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog! Sounds like we have similar stories - I was diagnosed in September 2010 and started on Copaxone injections in October 2010, then I started blogging. Check out my blog at http://optimisticwithms.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lydia
    well done on starting your blog, keep it up! Better to share your thoughts/feelings/anger than allow them to build up inside. I too have RRMS, I was diagnosed just after I turned 18. That was 30 years ago and I'm happy to report that, contrary to all that is said about this illness, I have got steadily better not worse. I now have 2 children and a full and happy life.If there is one piece of advice I can give to you and your MS readers is avoid stress wherever possible; it always exscerbates symptoms and can bring on fatigue attacks. Also, I found the ms-people.co.uk forum a huge help and support in tough times, and a great laugh too! Very best wishes for the future Lydia, I hope you turn out to be as lucky as me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon, thanks so much for that post. It's always helpful to be fuelled by a bit of positivity! Great to hear that you're staying well. Your advice regarding stress could not be more valuable for me. Thanks x

    ReplyDelete