Affirm and Visualise

When I first learnt that I would have to inject myself every day, I was panicked, and wondered how I would ever get used to the idea. I spent the days prior to my first injection worrying sick about the prospects of having to pierce my own skin. I then remembered an inspirational story from a facilitator of a course I attended. He was a needle- phobe, and developed diabetes so was required to inject himself on a daily basis. He used affirmations and visualisations to prepare himself for the prospect of injecting.

I used this idea, and spent the three days before my first injection repeating my affirmation "I am calmly and safely injecting myself with my MS medicine". I would do this hundreds of times a day. I would wake up saying it, and go to sleep saying it. I also put a lot of energy into visualising myself injecting. I worked really hard on this, and when the time came to use Copaxone for the first time, I managed to calmly and safely inject myself with it. I have never felt anxious or nervous about injecting and I firmly believe that this was due to my preparation in using affirmations and visualisations. I often use them in my day- to- day life now.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea. I'm going to do the same with walking!Think I can do it???
    I am tickled you've started blogging so soon into this MS journey. Good for you. It's helped me soo much. I'd like to think my site is upbeat with a dash of reality...my reality that is. Oh, one more thing. I just wish people would leave comments. I really poor my heart out and often get nothing in return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Nicole. I started the blog as I could do little else when I was first diagnosed. My big brother encouraged me to start writing about my experiences as he was sure people would find it interesting, even if it's just giving friends and family a better insight!

    I really enjoyed looking at your blog. I love the title "new normal" I'm struggling to find mine now :)

    ReplyDelete